Automobile accidents—they can happen at any time, in any place, and generally when you least expect it. In fact, in the state of Mississippi, automobile accidents happen on average every hour of everyday. The moments following a car accident are highly stressful and chaotic. To this end, we have prepared the following guide to assist you in protecting your legal rights following an automobile accident:
- Get to the nearest safe location—if you are in an automobile accident on a roadway, it is imperative to move yourself and your vehicle if possible to the nearest safe soft shoulder. This can prevent further injury to yourself and other vehicles. Do not, however, leave the scene of the accident. Fleeing the scene of the accident can result in criminal penalties in the state of Mississippi.
- Contact local law enforcement—it is critical to contact a local law enforcement agency as soon as possible after an automobile accident so that you may complete a police report. Police officers will generally arrive fairly quickly to the scene of the accident and will interview the drivers and witnesses involved. That police report can prove crucial to your later recovery for damages or personal injuries, so it is best to wait at the scene for the arrival of law enforcement officers. If for some reason a report is not made at the scene, go to a police station and complete a police report as soon as possible after the incident.
- Receive medical treatment—if you are injured in the automobile accident or even believe you may have suffered some sort of injury, it is best to seek treatment right away. Some common injuries from automobile accidents, such as sore neck and muscle stiffness or strains may not be evident until a few hours or days after the accident. It is important to seek medical treatment as soon as possible after the accident as any delay may make it more difficult to prove the accident was the cause of your injuries.
- Do not discuss liability for the accident— under no circumstances should you admit fault to the accident or discuss liability with police officials, witnesses, or insurance companies. Wait until you speak with your attorney before getting into a discussion of the complicated, legal issue of fault.
- Start documenting the accident—proper documentation can prove crucial towards later recovery, so start the process right at the scene of the accident. Take pictures of the vehicles involved, the location of the accident, any skid marks, and your injuries, if any. Gather the names and information of any witnesses and record their statements.
- Retain an experienced attorney who specializes in automobile accidents—no matter how seemingly minor your automobile accident, it is best to retain the services of a Mississippi attorney with experience in car accidents. An experienced car crash attorney will ensure you meet crucial deadlines for receiving compensation; will handle the often difficult and unpleasant insurance representatives for you; and will most importantly fight so that you receive the compensation you deserve. So before discussing your accident with the insurer, consult with an expert Mississippi car crash attorney to protect your legal rights.
The experienced Mississippi auto accident attorneys at Giddens Law Firm have extensive experience representing those who have been injured or suffered damages due to an automobile accident. The Giddens Law Firm will zealously protect your legal rights and ensure you receive just compensation for the damage or injuries you received as a result of an automobile accident. Call us today at (601) 355-2022 to receive a full explanation of your legal rights .