Retaining the right auto accident attorney to represent you in your personal injury suit is of critical importance. A skilled, professional personal injury attorney can mean the difference between a large settlement that makes you whole again following your accident, and a botched case in which you are left with many unpaid medical bills and a significant amount of emotional trauma. If you or a loved one has been injured in an automobile accident, you are likely overwhelmed by the process of hiring an automobile accident attorney. You may see billboards, hear names on the radio, and receive recommendations from friends. While these are all fine ways to select some possible attorneys, it is essential that you sit down and interview your potential attorney to confirm they are both qualified and a correct fit for you.
To this end, we have prepared the following list of the top 5 things you should consider in selecting your auto accident attorney:
- Experience is a must—as English writer William Hazlitt once wrote, “[y]ou know more of a road by having traveled it than by all the conjectures and descriptions in the world.” No amount of education or natural talent will replace the sheer value of experience. An experienced auto accident attorney will be best suited to professionally and skillfully guide your personal injury case. They have been through such suits many times before and know the ins-and-outs of automobile accidents, and the best ways to achieve a full recovery. Look for an attorney with litigation experience as well as general automobile accident experience, as this will be crucial if you end up going to trial.
- Specialization in the area of law you need help in is critical—you should select an attorney that specializes in the area of law your case will revolve around, such as commercial truck accidents if you were hit by a tractor trailer, or automobile accidents if you were in a car accident. Specialization will not only ensure the attorney has experience handling cases in your area of law, but also that the attorney is up to date on current case law and legislative changes in the field.
- Avoid guaranteed outcomes—avoid hiring an attorney that guarantees you an outcome. It is simply not possible or professional to promise a result to a client since nothing in personal injury cases is guaranteed.
- Retain an attorney who listens to you—it is best to hire an automobile attorney who truly listens to you and always addresses your questions and concerns. A personal injury suit can become complex and confusing. You will have many questions along the way and you have the right to expect an attorney that listens and answers all your questions. Further, a good automobile accident attorney will always have your desired outcome in mind when taking action in your case.
- You need someone you trust—while the four criteria listed above are important, you ultimately need to select someone that you trust to handle what is a very important matter for you. Trust is simply a must. You will likely have to spend much time with your personal injury attorney, tell him or her intimate personal details involving your injuries, and ultimately allow your attorney to be your mouthpiece to the court and the insurance companies. None of this can be accomplished absent trust.
The Giddens Law Firm, located in Jackson, Mississippi, is an experienced personal injury firm that handles all types of personal injury cases, including automobile accidents, commercial trucking accidents, motorcycle accidents, as well as products liability and medical malpractice matters. We are a team of seasoned litigators with extensive trial experience in both state and federal court. The Giddens Law Firm strives to ensure each client has a full understanding of their case and will always be available to answer your questions. Call the Giddens Law Firm today at 601-355-2022 to speak with a team of attorneys you can trust.