In the aftermath of a truck accident, you will likely be in pain and quite often in shock. While experiencing the range of emotions and physical pain that surrounds a truck accident, it can be confusing to know what steps to take to protect your legal rights. The following is a list of do’s and don’ts that every Mississippi truck accident victim should abide by. Adhering to this list will ensure you comply with the law, receive proper medical care, and maximize your later chance at a full recovery.
- Get to the nearest safe location: If you have been involved in a truck accident on a Mississippi roadway, it is imperative you move yourself and your vehicle to the nearest safe location to prevent further injury or accident. This will generally be to the nearest soft shoulder. Do not, however, leave the scene of the crash under any circumstances. Fleeing the scene of an accident is a criminal offense in Mississippi and can result in serious penalties.
- Call 911: Call 911 or local law enforcement as soon as possible after a truck accident, even if the crash was a fairly minor one. A police officer will arrive shortly to the scene of the accident and complete a police report. The report will be based on an examination of the scene and interviews with the drivers and witnesses involved. This police report can prove crucial to your later recovery for personal injuries or damages, so it is always best to call 911 after an accident. If for some reason a report is not made at the scene, go to the police station as soon as possible to report the accident.
- Receive medical treatment: If you have been involved in a truck accident and could have suffered any sort of injury, it is best to seek medical treatment right away. Some injuries may not be evident for hours or even days after a crash. The earlier you seek medical treatment, the sooner you can get the medical attention you require and the better your chances of recovery.
- Retain the assistance of an experienced truck accident attorney: Truck accidents often involve serious injuries and will also involve complex issues of law unique to the realm of commercial vehicle accidents. An experienced truck accident attorney will initiate a complete investigation into the cause of your accident and fight for your maximum recovery.
- Discuss liability for the accident: You should never engage in discussions of liability, whether it be with other drivers or the police, following a truck accident. Liability is a legal conclusion which you cannot make and discussions of liability can harm your later recovery. Speak with your attorney before addressing the complex legal issue of fault.
- Feel pressured to accept an initial settlement offer: You will likely be approached by an insurance adjuster who will push you to accept a quick settlement. Never accept such an offer without consulting with a truck accident attorney first, as the initial settlement offer will generally only cover a small portion of your losses stemming from the accident.
Giddens Law Firm, P.A.: Fighting for the Recovery of Truck Accident Victims Across Mississippi
The Mississippi Truck Accident Attorney at Giddens Law Firm, P.A. urges anyone who has been injured truck accident to contact our firm immediately. Our experienced truck accident attorney will examine your accident and guide you through the legal process to a full recovery. Our case reviews are always free and confidential. Call us today at (601) 355-2022 to see how our skilled truck accident attorney can help you.