Numerous types of accidents occur on Mississippi roadways each day. One of the most common and dangerous types of accidents are T-bone collisions. T-bone accidents happen in intersections throughout Mississippi’s many roadways. These side impact crashes generally occur at intersections where vehicles are changing directions or there are different traffic signals that control the movement of traffic through converging roads. T-bone accidents occur when two vehicles are traveling perpendicular or at a right angle to one another, or one vehicle is driving through an intersection when another turns into the path of the oncoming vehicle, creating a T-shaped accident.
While all accidents hold the potential to cause serious injuries, T-bone crashes are known to be catastrophic. A contributing factor to the seriousness of these accidents is the ineffectiveness of side airbags. Numerous studies have demonstrated that side airbags offer little protection to crash victims. Door frames alone do not protect innocent passengers and drivers when a fast moving vehicle pummels into them. Studies have actually shown that when a vehicle intrudes into another vehicle by as little as six inches, the occupants of the vehicle, especially those in the seat on the side impacted, are highly likely to suffer serious injuries.
Some injuries commonly associated with T-bone crashes include:
- Traumatic brain injury
- Back injuries
- Spinal cord damage
- Fractured ribs
- Broken bones
- Punctured lungs
- Neck injuries
- Damage to the heart
- Internal organ damage
- Permanent disfigurement or disability
Most T-bone accidents can be attributed to driver negligence, caused when a driver ignores traffic signals or fails to yield at a traffic signal. Many T-bone accidents occur for the following reasons:
- A driver fails to yield the right of way when making a turn into an intersection
- A driver pulls into an intersection without checking for oncoming cars, trucks, or motorcycles
- A driver does not stop at a traffic light or stop sign
- A driver fails to yield the right of way when traveling through an intersection
- A driver anticipates another driver will stop and turns in front of it, only to have the driver not stop
- A driver behaves in an aggressive manner and attempts to turn quickly in front of an approaching vehicle or drives too fast through an intersection
- A driver is not paying attention to the road and fails to observe a traffic signal, oncoming vehicle, or stop sign
When a T-bone accident occurs, it will be necessary to analyze fault. These accidents can be caused by either driver, though often it is the driver that impacted the side of the other vehicle that is responsible for the crash. Sometimes fault will be assigned to both parties in the side impact crash. This will not, however, bar recovery in a Mississippi personal injury action. An experienced car accident attorney will investigate your crash and help you fight for a full recovery.
Giddens Law Firm, P.A.: Zealous Representation for All Car Accident Victims
The Mississippi Automobile Accident Lawyer at Giddens Law Firm, P.A. urges anyone who has been injured in T-bone or any other sort of car accident to contact us for assistance. Our experienced automobile accident attorney will examine your crash and determine whether it was caused by the negligence of another. We will then guide you through the legal process to a full recovery. Our case reviews are always free and confidential. Call us today at (601) 355-2022 to see how our skilled auto accident attorney can help you.